Nature's Assassins and BUG FEST, the Academy of Natural Sciences, this Augustby EJ on 07/30/12
Beginning August 1st and running through August 31st, the Academy of Natural Sciences will host Nature’s Assassins: Bug Predators From Around the World. This exhibit will showcase dozens of live deadly scorpions, black widow spiders and giant centipedes in twenty tanks. Creepy creature haters like me will learn that while these insects are poisonous and deadly to other insects and their rodent prey, they're extremely beneficial to the environment.
The Academy of Natural Sciences' Bug Month swings into full gear during the weekend of August 11th and 12th with BUG FEST. This year's theme, Butterflies from Around the World, will feature activities for children and adults:
- Popular Cajun chef Zach Lemann will prepare buggy edibles including "chocolate chirp cookies" with samples provided.
- Touch live bugs!
- Learn about butterfly gardening.
- Visit Logan Square, across the street, for bug exploration.
- Cheer on your favorite roach at the Roach Race 500.
- Learn how to collect, pin and care for your own bug collection.
- Crafts and face painting.
Both "Nature’s Assassins: Bug Predators From Around the World" and BUG FEST are free with admission.
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Directions & Parking
10 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday
10 am - 5 pm, Weekends and Holidays
Adults (age 13 and above): $15.00
Children (age 3–12): $13.00
Admission Discount on Aug. 21Enjoy 2-for-the-price-of-1 admission on Aug. 21, and the 21st of each month through March 2013.